Wednesday, September 22, 2010

September happenings

The kids school decided to have a 5k instead of the traditional fundraisers this year. I thought the idea was brilliant because I really hate fundraisers! I think they had a decent turnout, but hopefully next year will be better. We had a good time and Landon toasted all of us. He won 2nd place in his age division and some cool prizes! Emma ran the 1k with her friend, Allie. Daniel was a good trooper, Kate was in the stroller and Richard and I are not good runners, but we did okay! Maybe next year we can improve!

Emma and her cute friend Allie (who is in 7th grade) who takes such good care of Emma and plays with her all the time- she is the best!
I took this picture going up the road while Landon was already on his way back down the route- I told you, he really toasted us!
Daniel and his friend, Crosby, at the turnaround halfway point
Two weeks ago my sister-in-law Michelle and I made chili sauce. This is a specialty that my Mom used to make. It is a fall ritual we just had to continue! I helped my Mom many times before, but I had never done the entire process completely on my own! It was a learning experience for us, but I think we did okay and I hope it turned out like it is supposed to! It was a full day process and we had a lot of fun, despite all the little mishaps along the way. Michelle burned her arm so bad with boiling water- she sacrificed her arm so the bottles wouldn't break as we tried to lower them into the hot water bath. We were both screaming and laughing and we know that Mom would have been laughing right along with us. This will definately become a tradition. If you have never tried this chili sauce, you simply must! I don't know how anyone can have roast or meatloaf without it. Don't buy it at the store- it's nothing like what we make!

The main ingredients- LOTS of tomatoes, green peppers and onions
The stuff that makes it delicious!- Vinegar, sugar, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and cloves! It is so good, and it makes the house smell amazing while it is cooking!


This is right after it happened, but it looked way worse the next day and she was in a lot of pain! So sorry, Michelle!

1 comments:

Heather said...

I so wish I could've been there. I'm glad that you had so much fun. I'm sure mom would've been laughing so hard with you.
Good for you for running! I would've toasted you too, with my rollerblades. I'm way awesome, but I SUCK at running!!!