Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Speaking of Christmas music...

I am a huge lover of Christmas music and can't wait each year to pull out all my Christmas piano music and play my favorites over and over again. However, I was disappointed in all the radio stations beginning their constant Christmas music the first of November. C'mon people! And it seems this year more than others (or maybe I just notice it more) that there is a whole lot of ugly Christmas music out there. Honestly, I heard "Hark! The Heral Angels Sing" today, sung by Niel Diamond, a pipe organ, and what sounded like our ward choir. I really detested it. So here are some that I really just cannot stand to listen to:
Neil Diamond- Specifically for the terrible song I heard today.
Amy Grant- I like her songs but hate her voice.
Gloria Estefan- Her Christmas songs just don't do it for me.
Most other singers that have made a Christmas CD because its the thing to do and they want to make money, but they really are nothing original, meaningful, or special. Its just noise.

On the other hand, there is plenty of Christmas music that makes me so happy to hear and really brings out the Christmas Spirit in me.
The Carpenters- You just can't go wrong with the Carpenters.
Bing Crosby- How can you not love him? Which reminds me, I need to watch "White Christmas" ASAP. It's one of my all time favorite shows.
Frank Sinatra- It's Frank!
Harry Connick Jr.- Love him!
Manheim Steamroller- It reminds me of when I was 12 and first heard them and loved it.
Voice Male- of course!
Any songs from Christmas Classic movies, like The Grinch, Rudolf and Frosty- all OK by me!

I'd love to know what songs and/or singers ya'll really love or really hate!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I totally agree with your list! You need to get Mitch Miller's Sing Along for your fam. We used to listen to it on vinyl records every Christmas at my grandparents house. It's THE BEST!

Jill said...

I LOVE David Fosters rendition of Carol of the Bells. I "air lead" it everytime it comes on. I love any orchastra christmas music. :-) I also am sick of all the Divas trying to sing Oh Holy Night. They seem to only want to show off thier pipes and not bring the spirit of the song out. I LOVE Michael Crawfords version of it though...no one else but him should sing that song...oh, I guess Voice Male can. I hate anything by Gloria Estefan. I love all the classics too!

Layne said...

Agreed on Gloria--that Let It Snow of hers is stupid. Also agreed on Oh Holy Night--show-offs.

I love the Beach Boys' Little Saint Nick, Mariah Carey, which you know, and all the old-timey stuff. Frank's version of Jingle Bells is awesome.

Daisy Chick said...

I love the classics especially Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Andy Williams, Ella Fitzgerald. We also love VoiceMale. Some of my favorites for new songs are Sarah McLachlan and Barenaked Ladies "God Rest Ye Merry Gentelman" and Sarah's entire Wintersong Album. I love Celine Dion and I really like Coldplay's Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Enjoy the music...

Holly and Derek said...

Hey Jenny!! I am so glad that you have a blog! It is darling and I love seeing your kids. They have grown up so much and they are all so beautiful! Congratulations on the new baby as well. She is darling. I love your post about the Christmas songs. I feel the same way about Amy Grant, love the songs, hate the voice! You made me laugh. I love blogging and I am so addicted, it is such a nice way to keep in touch with people! You look beautiful as well, like always! Can't wait to keep in touch!

highdeekay said...

100% with you on anything Neil Diamond - ugh!!!

Love, love Carpenters.

I have to add one that may earn me much ridicule and even rejection, but I actually own and love the Osmond Family Christmas Album. I know, the shame. But somehow it brings back happy feelings even amid the cheese.

You can mock...