Friday, December 19, 2008

Moments of Peace

Today while the boys were at school, Emma went to a friends house for a few hours and I was home with Kate. While she napped I tried to throw in a couple loads of laundry, make the beds and write a shopping list, all the while going over the many other things I needed to be doing and get done before Christmas. She woke up and I fed her on the couch in the front room. When she was done she fell into a deep slumber and just nestled right into my chest as I held her. For a minute I thought of laying her down, but then I decided to enjoy the moment instead. It was snowing heavily outside and the house was completely silent (which rarely happens). My eyes filled with tears as I snuggled with my sweet, precious baby, grateful to be in my warm, happy, quiet home and just sit in peace for a few moments. I thought of nothing else for those moments except for me and Kate. It might sound silly, but it was the best part of my day. Sometimes a little peace is priceless. Soon after, the house filled with sounds of the other kids and friends and TV and the piano. The counter filled with papers from school, presents from friends, goodies and pictures. The floor filled with snow pants, hats, coats, boots and gloves. The evening filled with whining, begging for sleep overs, finding something to eat and many attempts to fall asleep. And now it is late and I am tired, the house is mostly in disarray and Kate is crying upstairs. Thank heaven for that precious moment of peace!

5 comments:

Heather said...

It seems like those precious moments of peace are what keep you from becoming your last blog ("funny,funny mother")! I'm glad you got your moment of peace, you deserve it. You're a GREAT mom!

Layne said...

Thank goodness for babies. So easy (comparatively) to take care of, so cuddly and soft. Nothing makes you appreciate a baby like an older child.

Jen said...

Hi Jenny! What a sweet little family you have. You are not silly at all--those moments of peace are few and far between and so wonderful! I am so glad you are doing well!!!

Lisa said...

But I love that you're blogging while it's all going on. That's what a woman of the 2000's does!

Jill said...

soo sweet. We all know of those rare moments you spoke of. I think I might have more of those moments if I LET myself. Way to go on taking the moment. Let's do that more often.

PS That was way fun on Saturday! Let's do that more often too!