Friday, December 12, 2008

Harry Potter, how I love thee!



I just finished the whole Harry Potter series yesterday! I have to say, I never imagined that I would really get into it, but oh, how I have loved every minute. Landon brought home the first book a couple of years ago and wanted to read it. I had kindof watched the movies and kindof liked them. Well, I started reading the books to my boys every night (only about 20 minutes a night, which is why it has taken so long) and really started getting into it. And for the past two years it has just been a part of our bedtime routine. I have looked forward to it every night and have had to force myself to stop reading when the boys fall asleep. They have loved it as well. I'm a bit obsessed now. We have all the movies and I love them. When we started "The Deathly Hallows" (Book 7) I just couldn't wait to finish it and had to read on ahead of the boys. I have thoroughly enjoyed every book and I love all things Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling is really brilliant. I almost started crying as I finished the book last night. Not because of the ending, but because it is the end. I am done with all the books and now what? I feel like I just lost a friend or something. I still have to finish book 7 with the boys, but I already know what happens! And I can hardly wait to see the movie "The Half Blood Prince". I also just read that they have decided to split the 7th movie into TWO movies! (kindof like splitting your soul into horcruxes?!) Aaaah! I just can't wait for all this. Anyway, Thank you Harry Potter for all the good times. I will miss you. I think my next reading adventure will be Twilight. Although, I am pretty sure the Harry Potter series will remain my favorite with a special place in my heart.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Amen!!! I {Heart} Harry Potter too!

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, too. I've been on the Board of Directors of HPEF (Harry Potter Education Fandom, Inc.) which puts on Harry Potter symposia all around the country, which are sort of a fannish/academic mix. I've delivered two academic papers at our various conferences on the books. Our next conference, Azkatraz, will be held in San Francisco, CA in 2009.

Anyway, I wanted to mention something that you might find interesting, if you're going through Harry Potter withdrawal: I'm one of the writers of a Harry Potter alternative universe game called HP Alternity, which is being run in real time on LiveJournal. The story has many of the characters you'll recognize from Harry Potter, with one change that made a big difference in the story:

"As a result of one tiny change in 1981, Harry Potter has been raised as Harry Marvolo, the Dark Lord's adoptive son and heir apparent. Draco Malfoy is his dogsbody, friend, and only confidant. Harry simultaneously loathes and is intrigued by the Mudbloods and Muggles that are interned in work camps throughout Great Britain. He knows nothing of the world beyond the United Kingdom's seemingly impenetrable wards. And he is about to start attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry... where he will encounter truths about his past, present, and future that he has never known before.

In this grim world, Harry's in Slytherin House. Hermione Granger is a slave working in the library at Hogwarts. Minerva McGonagall, who has been forced to take the Dark Mark, is Headmistress of Hogwarts, and head of the underground Order of the Phoenix. Sirius has fled to France and Dumbledore to America. Remus Lupin is working as the caretaker/groundskeeper, one of the werewolves under the jurisdiction of the Ministry. Frank and Alice Longbottom are working undercover, training young muggleborn witches and wizards in a Sanctuary on the Isle of Mann known as Moddey Dhoo. And the Lord Protector holds iron sway over the entirety of the United Kingdom.

At Hogwarts, each of the students have been given special journals, which function - through magic - like LiveJournal. Unbeknownst to most, the Order of the Phoenix has discovered a way to lock their journal entries with the charm "Order Only" to keep their own journal network secure from the prying eyes of the Ministry of Magic. To read the journals, simply read HP Alternity and HP Alternity's friends list."

There is also a fan community, where people discuss the story, called Alt_fen.

To make this a bit easier, we've set up a custom reading group. If you'd like to read the last sixty entries of the game, including the alt_fen fan discussion group, use this link

If you'd like to read just the last sixty entries of the game itself, use this link

(If you'd like to go back farther than sixty entries, you'll have to use the two links method: HP Alternity and the HP Alternity's friends list.)

Every week, a recap of all the entries is posted at Alt_fen. See the weekly recaps here

The game runs in REAL TIME and began last September 1. I think that the writing is truly superb. We have about eighteen players, writing about forty characters (and we're looking for more players, if you're interested!). So if you'd like to start reading the Harry Potter story all over again, beginning September 1 of his first year and continuing day by day through the next 7 years, in a very different world, check out HP Alternity! Be sure to read all the comments associated with each post. The game's rating will eventually mature to about PG-13. If you enjoy it, stop by the Alt_fen community to let us know what you think! See also the HP Alternity website.

Cheers,

Peg Kerr

Heather said...

Hey Jen, I love your blog.I just wanted you to know that I finally have a blog its westfamily-heather.blogspot.com. I am really new at this and it isn't very cute but I'm learning! Check it out when you have time! Love ya,
Heather

Last Place Finisher said...

Isn't that the best feeling? When you've read a book, formed an attachment to the characters, and then found yourself disappointed when you've finished.

I loved Harry Potter too. My daughter read "Twilight." She couldn't put it down.