After Kate was born I thought the girls could share a room, but it just worked out better that they didn't. Emma ended up sleeping on the boys floor for about a year. Last summer I finally moved Landon to our small room (and crammed all the "stuff" in it into any other place I could find!) downstairs and made his room an "older" boy room. That put Emma in the top bunk of the boys room and Daniel on the bottom. All of Emma's stuff still remained in the "girls" room though. I think Daniel was ready for his own room and to not have a "girly" bed on top of his. So we moved the girls into the boys room and moved Daniel into Kate's room. Of course, this involved taking apart all the beds and putting them back together again. Major pain. Oh, and remember how I told you the dresser simply didn't fit? Our rooms are a little on the smaller side and there's really only one way to make furniture fit. Although the room switch still needs to remove one dresser and a play kitchen, we are almost there. Whew! So much work, but I love the process and the change. So here is what we have at this point and a few of the little projects I did along the way. I'm bad at doing "before" pictures, but I hope you enjoy the overall ideas!
On to Daniel's new room. This shelf is the same one that was in the girls room. It was white with flowers and butterflies handpainted on it. I sprayed it black and did the stripes with tape. I really like how it turned out!
We had these planets in a box that we had never successfully hung and I had this styrofoam ball in my craft stuff. Daniel painted it to be the sun! Pretty cool, and it ties in the little splashes of orange that he wanted.
His pillow pet is orange, hence the splashes of color. The polka dot and striped pillows are made from towels I found at Walmart. The striped towel became the inspiration for the shelf!
On to the girls room. I wish I had a before of this beauty. I was a rusty, red color and had the word "COWBOY" in a rustic, western font across it. It was in the boys room to hang hats and ties on. I repainted it, stamped it and added jewels and ribbon. It is the perfect necklace hanger and I love the way it turned out!
I covered a lampshade for the girls. This used to be purple gingham with a purple flower pull. I also spray painted the flower pot. It used to be pink with little butterflies all over it.
Here is the "before" dresser. I'm glad we just had this hanging out in the shed! I painted it and went to replace handles and learned that antiques have different size handles and they don't make them that size anymore. What do you think I should do?
I decided to distress it a little and I really like how it turned out!
Here are the original handles. One sprayed black and one sprayed silver. If I go with one of these I don't have to fill holes and re-paint drawers and drill new holes. But......
Look how pretty this looks! More money and more work, but so adorable!
This is the "after". The wall color is the same one I just painted my bathroom and I love it. Eventually, after we get bunkbeds, I will get yellow bedspreads and accent with red and black. I'm still needing to do curtains in this room. For now, the decor is mostly the same from their previous room.
The bed Emma is in now is one of the "boy" bunks. White will be so much prettier.
This is the "before" of the room at its worst. I can't believe I'm even sharing this picture!
Okay, now for my next bunch of projects!
* spray paint icky brass on our bedroom ceiling fan
* spray paint icky brass on outside light fixtures
* recover lampshades in family room- still searching for that "perfect" fabric
* paint kitchen table and chairs black
* beadboard kitchen backsplash and bar surround
* chalk board cabinet in kitchen
* paint vanities black (in 2 bathroom) and add handles
* paint cabinets in laundry room white
* re-do hope chest
* paint kitchen cabinets white (that's a major one that may never happen!)
I'll take more before pictures for these ones! It will amaze me if I get any of these things done before the end of summer!