Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's crazy, but it's true...

My visiting teacher, Susan, was here a while back and Emma had the hiccups. She told Emma to come over and squeeze her pinkies as hard as she could. Susan held out her fists and put her pinkies up and Emma squeezed as hard as she could. Susan kept saying things like, "c'mon, you can squeeze harder", "is that as hard as you can squeeze?", "okay, now you're starting to hurt me a little!" This went on for about 45 seconds and Emma was giggling and then.....her hiccups were gone! I've done this at least 3 times with Emma since then and it totally works every time! Isn't that a cool trick?

Here's another trick Susan told me (that she mostly does with her older kids). When they complain about the hiccups, tell the child you will give them a quarter (it helps to hold one right in front of them) if they can tell you right before the next hiccup comes out. The kids concentrate so hard on knowing right when the next hiccup will come, that somehow, it never does! I haven't tried this one yet, but she swears by both methods! Let me know if you try either of these and if they work for you!

7 comments:

Heather said...

That is crazy. I'll have to try it. Carter thinks the hiccups give him migraines, not true. Can't wait to see you tonight.

Layne said...

Susan is magic. What I've always done is drink a glass of water while I keep my ears plugged.

Lisa said...

So what's the theory? They hold their breath until they pass out and the hiccups stop? lol

highdeekay said...

Ok, this one sounds like cruelty to small children but with infants, you can (gently) press on their closed eyelids for about 45 seconds and the hiccups go away. I promise!

Julianne said...

I'll have to remember those tricks! Too funny! Do call if you have time to come out to Kanab! We'd LOVE to have your family visit! Let me know! If it doesn't work out...I totally understand! Love ya!

Erin said...

That is very interesting - sorry we haven't been able to meet up lately, I think after I make it through this week with all of our birthdays I will be able to resume "normal" life. Take care!

Live More Now said...

That pinky-squeezing trick sounds funny! I'm going to try it with the next person I catch with the hiccups. My worst hiccup story was in 4th or 5th grade when my explorer's teacher yelled at me to stand on my desk (he's obviously heard my hiccups start). I was terrified and yet he seemed so mad I got up and stood on my desk. Then he started laughing and asked whether my hiccups had gone away ... and they had out of pure fear!