Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Missing Mom....


I still can't believe she's gone. She's been gone for a week now and it still seems like she's just gone on vacation and she'll be back soon. My sister Heather and sister-in-law Michelle and I had the honor of dressing Mom and doing her make-up. She looked absolutely beautiful when we were done with her. She just looked like she was sleeping and looked as if she could open her eyes at any moment. The kids didn't see her until Saturday before the funeral. The kids handled it all very well, and I really didn't think Kate would know what was going on. But I took her to the casket anyway and showed her Grandma. Kate immediately lunged forward and reached out her arms, just like she would when Grandma was alive- she wanted her to hold her. When Grandma didn't respond, Kate gently and tenderly put her head on my shoulder. Then she did the same to Richard. She looked at Grandma again and reached out and then rubbed her chest- the sign for "please". It was so precious. Richard and I were bawling. She probably knows more than I ever thought she could. This picture is so special. I love my Dad and siblings so much and as my brother said in his talk, it was truly an honor to sing with them and be with them that entire week. We strengthened eachother and I am so grateful for the love we share. David and I spoke at the funeral, along with 2 of her dear friends. The grandkids sang "Families Can Be Together Forever" and children and spouses sang "Be Still My Soul". It was indeed a beautiful day. Mom, we miss you more than words can express.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that picture! Your words are beautiful. Your family is amazing and I am sure you will all be a strength to each other through out this. Love you and thinking of you.

Layne said...

I was impressed by your family at your mother's service. You were all so poised and confident that it's only a temporary separation, heartbreaking though it is. And what a remarkable woman! How wonderful to have such a family.

Jill said...

I have been thinking about you and your family all week. It really was a special funeral, and very uplifting. We pray for you guys and are grateful for your families example of faith and strength. Your Mom passing was so hard on you guys, but in a way it was such a blessing to others. It gave us the chance to be touched and inspired to be better people. Seriously, it has helped me a lot in my mothering and my desire to be a good wife to Mike. I want me and my daugthers to be as close as you were to your Mom.

Rod and Jess said...

Wow. The Spirit is so strong just through your blog that I can only imagine how strong it really was during the experience. What a tender moment with your little Kate. I'm sure your sweet mom will be watching over her on a daily basis, as with you and the rest of your family. My heart goes out to you. I pray for peace in your heart and soul. Sending hugs your way!

Heather said...

I miss her too. It just doesn't seem real. I hate that she's really gone. I love you so much and I'm so thankful to have you as a sister. We have the best family ever. I love this picture.

highdeekay said...

Touching photo, inspired words. Thanks for sharing something so close and personal in such a beautiful way.

See you soon!

Kathryn & Jason said...

I love you and want you to know how sorry I am. Your mother was a great and wonderful example of how to embrace life and live it! I am thankful to have known her the little bit that I did.

Lauren said...

Still thinking about you and praying for you. I like the adjustments you made to the picture. I didn't like the other heads, but I didn't think to photoshop it at the time. Love you all.

Erin said...

It was so good to see you and spend some time with you this weekend. You did a beautiful job speaking and singing, I am sure your Mom enjoyed it! Please call if you need anything!

Mandy said...

I love that picture! I have been thinking about you everyday and hope you know you are in my prayers. You guys did such an amazing job. My mom kept saying over and over to me how much you are just like your mom. And you are...she would have been so proud of the way you did everything for her funeral. You have such an amazing dad and siblings...what a blessing and what a tribute to your mom. I can't imagen how hard some days are going to be, but I am comforted by the fact that you have such a great support system. Thanks for letting us be with you to pay our respects and know we loved your mom so much! Hang in there and know we all love you guys!!! PS...Your talk was so amazing and everything was just perfect!!

Live More Now said...

Aah, sweet Jenny. What a lifechanging thing to have happened. I am so sorry for your loss. There will not be a day that passes that you don't think of her and that her influence won't be there with you to make your life better.

Know that you and your entire family are loved.

xoxo hjp

Karen and Joe said...

Oh my sweet Jenny! You have grown into such a beautiful woman! I cry myself to sleep at night thinking of my brother and his loss along with yours.
This picture says it all---the love and support that you have all given to each other and will continue to do so.
Little Kate is an angel who looks like her grandmother, what a blessing! If you get a chance, look at my blog, I've posted a few notes about your extraordinary mother. I love you and your family.

Jen said...

I wish that I could have attended your Mom's funeral last week. My Mom said your Mom looked absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing this experience--I can't even imagine all the emotions you must be feeling, but I do know you will be able to get through this difficult time...one day at a time.

Thinking of you,

Jenny Wardle Romney

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for sharing the thoughts of your heart with all of your friends. I wish I could have been there. Beautiful picture, beautiful family. You are amazing and are so strong! Your mom is so proud of you!

Daisy Chick said...

Jenny what a wonderful beautiful service in honor of an amazing woman. The picture you posted is a true testament of a the amazing and wonderful legacy your mother created. I love you and am praying for you and your family that peace will surround you as you mourn the loss of your mother. Love you lots.