Thursday, April 12, 2012

This week

Well, its spring break and it has been nice. I think I needed a break from the routine every bit as much as the kids needed a break from school! It has been so nice to have no schedule, and just enjoy doing fun things with my kids. I don't stress nearly as much when I don't have to worry about teaching piano and shuttling kids to and fro and getting dinner done before the evening madness (homework, piano practicing, meetings, etc.). We didn't plan a major trip or go to St. George like everyone else on the planet. We have just done fun things around here. Here is a little run down of what we've been up to so far this week.

On Monday we went to the Fairview Museum with Grandma and Grandpa McAllister. It was very interesting and is really a great little museum. Grandma and Grandpa had many neat stories to tell and items to show us that they personally donated. After our museum visit we went docking.....see further below.
Backing up a few days. On Saturday, all the McAllisters met in Mt. Pleasant for a big family picture. Here are all the younger cousins lined up waiting for the Easter scavenger hunt and recieving instructions from Grandma.
On Tuesday I took the kids to the zoo and it was the perfect day to be there. It was a bit crowded, and construction made a few exhibits unavailable, but the weather was wonderful. It was 75 degrees with a perfect slight breeze. We haven't been to the zoo in years and that made it even more fun. I really enjoyed every second with my kids at the zoo!


Monday afternoon was spent at the Mickel's docking a small herd of sheep. Cousin Kjerstin got to come with us and it was her first experience with the sheep, but she got in there and helped out alongside the boys. Emma just watched and looked cute and Kate stayed in the car watching Elmo because the whole process was making her freak out a little bit.
Richard, Landon and Matt
After docking we went to Mickel's house where they have many bummer lambs. They are orphan lambs who will die if they aren't bottle fed. We got to help feed them and on Wednesday we got six of our own bummer lambs. I felt like a regular farmer goin' into IFA to buy sheep milk formula and nipples for the bottles. We are keeping them in our neighbors pasture and have to feed them 3 to 4 times a day. I hope the novelty doesn't wear off too fast, because it's going to be a lot of work! I will post pictures of our lambs in the next post, along with the names the kids have already given them.








Wednesday was spent mostly at home, anticipating the lambs arrival and watching our piano get dismantled. I am having my keys redone because our old piano has some pretty sad, chipped keys. That means my piano is out of commission for 2 weeks. (If any of my students parents are reading this, I do have a back up plan- fear not.) I might die though. I play the piano all the time and I might go crazy without it.

Thursday (today) was spent going to breakfast at IHOP with Grandpa Kevin and then to see Mirror Mirror with him. We love spending time with him and he was so nice to take us out- he always spoils us! I feel bad that I forgot my camera though. None of the kids wanted to ride with me from IHOP to the movie, so they all rode in Grandpas awesome car while I cranked up Micheal Jackson and sang my guts out for the 5 minute drive alone. I do love my alone moments- even if it's only 5 minutes!

Not sure what's in store for tomorrow or Saturday, but it has been a really nice week. The kids have been mostly great and I just love them.

I'm hoping to back up a little and get caught up on blogging over the next few days. I also have a few completed projects with before and afters to share. Stay tuned!


3 comments:

Karen and Joe said...

You are a much more active mom than me during spring break!
I love that you crank it up to Michael Jackson-I can only sing when the kids aren't in the car with me.
Gotta love that docking!

Burt Family said...

I feel for you and having to bottle feed bummer lambs. We adopted two a while back and I recall those first few days of feeding every 4 hours, UGH! We were lucky and they were just in our backyard, so kudos to you and the kiddos going to the neighbors every morning and night. Are they going to show them in the county fair? Good luck with them, I know you have an expert in the house on sheep raising :)

Diane said...

Thanks for the blog. It brought back a lot of memories seeing Mount Pleasant, Aunt Joan and Uncle Jack, docking sheep, Howells cabin and the McAllister cabin. Hope all is well with you. Mark (AZ Jensens)