Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Today I.....

Today I put away all the strawberry jam that I made yesterday. We have been using store bought jam (yuck!) since we ran out of last years supply. We are so happy to have delicious jam once again! As I made the jam I remembered back to my jam making experience three years ago. Richard had been in the hospital for a full week because of pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in his lungs). It was exactly 3 years ago today that he went in....Friday the 13th of April. It was a terrible week and on my way home from the hospital one night with the kids I got in a car accident. My mom had also just found out that her cancer had returned. I remember the day after he was released from the hospital I thought I could make jam. I had bought the strawberries but had no food processor. I also wanted to get some spring yard work done, but Richard was unable to do anything. My house was also a disaster and I was overwhelmed. My sister, Heather, just happened to drive up from St. George that day and stopped by my house on a whim. I had no idea she was coming and I remember as soon as I saw her on my doorstep I started bawling. She went to my Mom and Dads and told them how I was feeling. That afternoon, Heather and my Mom and Dad came to the rescue. Heather cleaned my bathrooms, my Dad mowed the lawn and my Mom trimmed the hedges and raked out all the flower beds. My parents also decided they needed a new food processor anyway and gave me their old one so I could make jam. I was so grateful for their service, even though I felt like a charity case. I thought about that day a lot as I made jam. I thought of my sweet Mom who had just found out about her cancer and still came to my aid. I thought of the times I helped my mom use that food processor in her kitchen as my own little Emma helped me make jam. It's been 6 months since my Mom died and it feels like 6 years. Like my brother Dave said, it does not get easier with time. I'm so grateful for her glorious example, but I never imagined I could miss her so much.


8 comments:

Layne said...

That jam looks great! And you can think about your cute mom whenever you eat your jam on toast. Hopefully it will get more bearable over time.

Heather said...

That looks so yummy. I remember that day so well. I'm glad that we were able to help you. I don't get to help you enough. I'm glad that we have parents who have taught us to serve eachother. I miss her too, so much. I fed Claire at 11:00 last night and then sat out in the living room and cried for a half hour in the dark. I'm glad we have each other, but it sucks!

Jill said...

You really are lucky to have so many good memories of time with your Mom. How great that something as small as making jam can bring you back to when you felt so loved by her and the rest of your family.

Mom M. said...

Your freezer will look like mine does..I had three sweet daughter-in-laws make all mine (including Jill)..what a blessing Family is in our lives. I still miss my Mom and it's been 10 years...but we can all enjoy happy memories and look forward to seeing our loved ones again.

Lois

The Five Reids said...

Jenny, your Jam looks yummy!! I"m looking for a good recipe what's yours?

Jenny said...

It's just the freezer jam recipe from the MCP pectin box. It's very simple- I made 6 separate batches. Just make sure you have all your ingredients before you start so you don't have to run back to the store! And you have to follow the instructions to the letter or the jam wont set up! You'll love it if you make it! It's delicious!

Jenny said...

BTW0 you find pectin in the canning aisle. Its a little yellow box about the size of pudding. Just in case you've never made jam before and didn't know!:)

Unknown said...

Sometimes the best time to serve is when you have problems yourself.
Your Mom was always a perfect example of this. Sometimes you also need to just break down and ACCEPT help too.
I have made freezer jam before but I would love your recipe for this jam! You should post it!
Karen